locking/unlocking

hue tang

14 May, 2013 01:03 AM

hi,

in your recent update (version 1.4.1), locking of pages/notebooks was added. however, i can't get it to work. the instructions say "From the app-wide option menu you can set a passcode. Then from the options menu of a page or notebook you can lock it from opening."

is the "app-wide" option menu accessed by the settings button (the gear icon above the info icon) on the lower left side of the screen?
i set my passcode on this. but then when i go into a specific notebook and i tap on the same icon, the message i get is to change to another passcode. i don't actually get to lock the notebook. what am i missing?

hue

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by emolina on 14 May, 2013 01:09 AM

You have to set it from the options menu for the notebook or page.

The same menu you use to email the contents of the notebook, add tags, etc.

2. 2 Posted by hue tang on 14 May, 2013 01:21 AM

i just found out how to do this.

if you tap and hold on an item, another menu pops up. this is where you can lock that specific item.

why didn't anyone say that there are more options when you tap and hold on an item? all this time i've been using thinkbook, i did not know that the feature was there.

hue.

3. 3 Posted by hue tang on 14 May, 2013 01:30 AM

thanks emolina.

i've been using thinkbook since the beginning and did not know that you could actually email/dropbox individual line items. i've only backed up/restored the entire contents to/from dropbox.

i don't remember reading anywhere that by tapping and holding over an item, that you would get another options menu.

oh well, live and learn.

hue

4. 4 Posted by hue tang on 14 May, 2013 01:36 AM

one additional thing. once you set a passcode, is there a way to unset it? when i go into the settings menu, it's "Set or change passcode". if you have already set a passcode, you can only change it. you can't actually set it back to the mode with no passcode at all.

or can this be accomplished by using the unlock.txt method?

hue

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by emolina on 14 May, 2013 01:40 AM

You can unlock the individual items you have locked.

I suspect there are a few ThinkBook users out there that don't know about the options menu. I don't know how to make it more visible though, it's mentioned in the tutorial but many don't look at it or just stop paying attention soon after the start.

I know I'm like that too, I tend to tune out of tutorials etc.

6. 6 Posted by hue on 14 May, 2013 06:18 PM

one way to do it is to make the app-wide settings menu contextual. if i am currently in "notebook 1", then tapping the settings icon would bring up the usual list of options, but add at the bottom "lock/unlock notebook 1". this would work, even though it's not visible from the outside.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac