(More) dropbox import issues

Oliver Matthews

09 Nov, 2012 08:00 AM

If the import parser picks up a file as being in thinkbook format and one of the entries only has a single space between the identifier at the start and the content, then the file is imported as empty.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by emolina on 19 Nov, 2012 11:58 PM

Hi Oliver, yes, making that process more robust (or at least reporting better/some errors) is on the todo list. Sorry for the inconvenience.

2. 2 Posted by Alberto Murcia on 28 Nov, 2012 11:25 AM

My full support for your fantastic application. But... I have comments:

Problems at the time of "import and export" Dropbox are critical. This is the difference between a nice curiosity and a useful and successful implementation.

Perhaps it would be convenient an specific update of these aspects, ahead even of new functionality of the bells and whistles.

3. 3 Posted by StevenC on 28 Dec, 2012 05:44 PM

Hi, Emolina,

Happy holidays to you.

Like others, I've been finding the Dropbox backup/restore process to be... unpredictable.

I just backed up a single notebook to Dropbox from one iPad, and then attempted to restore it on another. The backup size was ~725 KB. This failed twice without any error messages, so I stopped trying.

I then backed up all of my notebooks (top level) to Dropbox from one iPad, and then attempted to restore it on another. The backup size was ~3.1 MB. This failed twice without any error messages, so I stopped trying.

I then deleted Thinkbook from the target iPad, reinstalled it, and then attempted to restore the backup from Dropbox. This worked.

One of my concerns about this process is its opacity: there's no way of telling whether a Dropbox restore has actually worked, short of comparing notebooks between the source and target.

There's also no indication that it's failed, nor any reasons. It would be useful to have some kind of error message displayed if the Dropbox import/restore doesn't complete successfully.

Hope this helps in getting closer to the root cause.

Regards,
    Steven

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by emolina on 07 Jan, 2013 01:04 AM

Alberto and Steven, if you are still having issues with backups, can you please re-try using the local import/export feature and manually moving the files to your desktop and back into TB? I'm trying to work out if this is a connectivity issue or if there is a problem with the way TB is reading the files.

5. 5 Posted by Jon on 06 Feb, 2013 03:49 PM

Hi Just like to say I love the app, I am however finding the "import text from file" feature very frustrating.

Unless I'm missing something there is no way to tell ThinkBook which file to import the text from, it simply looks for a file with a filename of %RandomNumber%.txt.

I can find no way to discover what the file name that it looks for is called for a given notebook. Except to export the text to dropbox and then edit the file that it exports.

This is not a great solution. Do you plan to add any kind of browse facility to the import procedure? Also are there any plans to allow import of emails, photos and other types of document?

Finally, a great feature would be to add the facility to include a freehand drawing page. I regularly need to make freehand sketches during meetings. If ThinkBook had the facility it would remove the need to switch applications.

Keep up the good work guys!

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by emolina on 19 Mar, 2013 11:44 PM

Jon, there is a generic text import option in the main options menu.

7. 7 Posted by Alberto on 22 Mar, 2013 07:38 PM

Hey man, I think this works now. I've only done a couple of tests, so
    it's possible that something is hide, but this works for me.

Congratulations and good job!!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac